Payments and fees:
We take Paypal payments at no extra cost to you!
The first £50 of any holiday is a booking administration charge and is non-refundable. This fee is required to reserve your desired caravan and date. If you wish to make a booking for the following year, this fee can be split in half, £25 payable immediately, and £25 payable on the 2nd of January of the year of your booking.
In addition to the advertised price for the holiday, there is also a £100 (for family breaks) / £150 (for adult weekends) security fee. Providing that there is no damage to the caravan or its contents, and everything is left as you found it, the security fee will be returned within a maximum of fourteen days (we will always endeavour to return this as soon as possible), providing we have received confirmation from our cleaning contractors that everything is in order. In the event that there are breakages, or damage, you will be charged accordingly.
The full price of the holiday, including the security fee, must be received within 8 weeks of your holiday.
If any payments are not received and cleared by the required dates we reserve the right to cancel your booking and re-let the caravan. In the event that this occurs, you will receive any moneys paid, excluding the booking administration fee.
Late bookings (less than 8 weeks before the holiday) will require immediate full payment to secure the booking.
Our refund policy is in line with Butlins, which is as follows:
28 days (or less) notice = No refund
29 to 42 days notice = 40% refund
43 to 55 days notice = 60% refund (providing that the remaining 40% covers the booking administration fee)
56 days or more = 100% refund, less the booking administration fee.
We highly recommend that you take out appropriate holiday insurance to cover your holiday should there be any problems.